I’ve been sharing some thoughts on a few of the critical characteristics of an effective church planter. Here’s a fourth: You must have serious relational intelligence and amazing relational dexterity.
As a church planter you’ll have to:
- Move into, understand, and start to network in a new town.
- Get people to buy into and own your vision.
- Help people find their place on the team.
- Equip people for ministry.
- Lead a staff.
- Work the lobby after services.
- Counsel with hurting people.
- Say no to people who want to hijack your vision.
- Deal with lots of conflict.
- Maintain unity.
And lots more, and all of that requires that you have serious relational intelligence and amazing relational dexterity.
By the way, of the characteristics necessary for a church planter, this is my weakest.
Want to learn about church planting, especially how to start a church for people who don’t like church? Come to our next Vault Church Planting Lab!