In my recent study through everything the Bible says about the Holy Spirit one of the things that really caught my attention is how Jesus commands His followers NOT to go out and tell people about Him or do ministry until they have the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Luke 24:49, “I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”
- Acts 1:8, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
I start wondering: How many times have I preached without the Holy Spirit’s power? How many times have I talked to a non-Christian about Jesus, or counseled someone in my church, or led a small group without the Holy Spirit’s power?
Yes, I have the Holy Spirit, but I think it’s pretty obvious Biblically that there’s a difference between having the Holy Spirit and really accessing and living out of His power.
Maybe it’d be healthy for you to think about this:
- Before you preach, witness, counsel, lead, do you really ask God to clothe you with power from on high?
- What do you do to connect to the Holy Spirit and access His power?
- If the Holy Spirit didn’t show up the next time you did ministry, would you notice?