Every Sunday I’m sharing a recap on some of what happened that week. It will be quick (in brief) and I’ll write in my underwear (in briefs). Here ya go:
1. On Sunday I flew to Florida for the Exponential (National New Church) Conference.
2. I got to host a pre-conference intensive (6 seminars on one theme) and teach two of the seminars. The seminars were broadcast live on the Exponential Channel and people could type comments as I talked. I’ve heard that I got ripped by some people. Sweet.
3. It was very cool getting to connect at the conference with some old friends and some future church planters.
4. On the trip I read The Monkey and the Fish, by David Gibbons and Inside the Magic Kingdom, by Tom Connellan.
5. Worked on a series of “classes” we’re going to offer for people who are thinking about becoming a Christian, and another series for people who have recently decided to start following Jesus.
6. Came back early for my son’s birthday.
7. On Thursday Robb and I met with a guy who started and is the President of a drug rehab. He’s a great guy and it was a great meeting, and there are some really exciting possibilities about future partnerships. Please pray that God does cool stuff with this…
8. Got our first new financial commitment for Verve in awhile. We’re still a ways below our fundraising goal, so this was good news! Thank you Oak Leaf Church!
9. On Saturday drove to L.A. where I’ll be preaching at University Christian Church for their Faith Promise Mission Rally.
TO PRAY ABOUT THIS WEEK:
1. The book I read and a dinner with a couple of people at Exponential have me thinking a lot about how ethnically diverse our area is, and how that should be reflected in what we do as a church. I think there’s a real tension between accommodating the various people groups in your community and being authentic to who you are. Please pray that we have the wisdom to live in that tension and do it right.
2. We’ve got a BUNCH of meetings this week – people who may be joining our Launch Team, local pastors, etc. – but one of the more interesting is with the police chief of all the policemen who patrol the Strip. Please pray that God will bring about what He has in mind from all these meetings, and that we won’t get in His way…