Every Sunday I’m sharing a recap on some of what happened that week. It will be quick (in brief) and I’ll write in my underwear (in briefs). Here ya go:
1. Last Saturday our team got together for a couple hours to prepare for our Block Parties. We prepped bins, tested our generator and karaoke machine, sorted through stuff, prayed, and loaded our trailer.
2. Sunday morning Daniel Conner and his wife, from Palm Valley Church in Phoenix, came into town to check out what we’re doing as sort of a scouting trip for the Mission Teams they plan on sending in October and November. I am so impressed with Daniel and Palm Valley! And it was very cool to have them here…
3. Sunday we got together at 10 a.m. to start setting up for the first Block Party, hoping that maybe someone would show up. Then 60 people did! It was very cool, people really appreciated what we did for them, and many expressed interest in our church.
4. That Block Party ended at 1, we had a short break, and then started sending up at 2 for the second Block Party, now assuming people would show up. And no one did! Well, at first. It was kinda dead for about half an hour, then people started showing up. And soon there were 46 people! And, again, a lot of people asked all kinds of questions about our church and what we’re doing.
5. Met with a fourth contractor as we prepare to hopefully sign the lease and get this great building that will be a center for all the ministry we hope to do for people who work on and live around the Vegas Strip.
6. Also talking to architects, as we’ll need to get any renovations we need to make drawn out and stamped by an architect to get approved by the city.
7. Had a meeting to review the Block Parties, and plan out the sets of Block Parties we’re gonna do in October and November. We feel like we learned a lot (some things that surprised us) and we’re going to apply what we’ve learned. We’re actually making some significant changes to the plan we had.
8. Met with Jud Wilhite, pastor of Central Christian Church, he is such an encouraging guy and i really appreciate him giving me his time.
9. Went to Central’s new “Weekends on Wednesday” service. I was interested to see who came out to a weekday service (old? young? single? married? white color? blue color?). The answer: All of the above. It was a totally mixed crowd.
10. We launched our Verve Venture Capitalist campaign! We’re looking for 500 people who will give $100 to help us get this leasing space we need. We got off to a great start, but still need about 400 more people to join in. So will you (please) be one of the 500? It’s a chance for you to be part of bringing Jesus to the Vegas Strip! If you’re interested in helping, or learning more, go to the verveventure.org site.
11. Doing some heavy planning for the Mission Teams we have coming into town in October and November. We’re still looking for more teams to come in January thru April. Want to bring one?
12. Had lunch with Kevin Odor from Canyon Ridge Church. He is one of the wisest people I’ve met. I want to take notes when he’s talking…
13. One of the people on our Launch Team had a co-worker who was moving, so a bunch of us went over to load up their truck. (Guerrilla Lovers in training…) It took 4 1/2 hours!!
TO PRAY ABOUT THIS WEEK:
1. There are lots of details that need to be worked out for us to get this space. Please pray that they all work out.
2. Perhaps the biggest issue is finances. Please pray that we get 500 people to give $100 so we can cover all the expenses of the build-out for the space. And I am thanking God for every person who has given, and for their generosity, so feel free to join me on that!
3. As we prepare for the upcoming Block Parties, and a bunch of other outreach/community service events, please pray for discernment, wisdom, and creativity for us!